Enrollment counselors in the area are preparing for the final 12 days of the Affordable Care Act’s open enrollment period by putting on several enrollment events throughout the county.
Organizers and counselors hope that these events will push those who have no coverage to sign up for health insurance or Medi-Cal before the Feb. 15 deadline.
Golden Valley Health Centers, Merced’s LGBT Center and Healthy House Within A MATCH Coalition, will be assisting people free of charge on the following dates and locations:
▪ Feb. 5: 5 to 8 p.m. at Golden Valley Health Centers on 637 Merced St. in Newman
▪ Feb. 5: 10 a.m. to 12 p.m., Healthy House counselors at Horisons Unlimited Health Care on 936 W. Main St. in Merced
▪ Feb. 6: 5 to 9 p.m., Healthy House counselors at the Merced Mall
▪ Feb. 8: 1 to 4 p.m., Healthy House counselors at the Carver Center in Dos Palos on 21475 Reynolds Ave.
▪ Feb. 10: 11 a.m to 2 p.m., Healthy House counselors at Horisons Unlimited Health Care in Gustine on 554 Fifth St.
▪ Feb. 11: 3 to 7 p.m. at the LGBT Community Center on 1744 G. St., Suite H in Merced
▪ Feb. 12: 5 to 8 p.m. at Golden Valley Health Centers on 821 Texas Ave. in Los Banos
▪ Feb 15: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Golden Valley Health Centers Enrollment Center on 727 W. Childs Ave. in Merced
▪ Feb. 15: 9 a.m to 7 p.m. at the Healthy House office on 301 W. 18th St.
Golden Valley also offers daily assistance at its Enrollment Center at their Childs Avenue address from 8:30 a.m to 4: 30 p.m. Healthy House also does daily signups at their 18th Street office from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Meanwhile, Merced’s LGBT Center is focusing on its one main event. Chris Jarvis, president of Gay Central Valley, the nonprofit behind the Merced Center, said he encourages residents to seek assistance from a professional rather than trying to sign up by themselves. He estimates the enrollment process takes about 30 minutes.
Those interested in signing up need to take with them the following documents: a California driver’s license or ID, the most recent tax returns with W-2s and proof of income, such as pay stubs. Applicants must also take their naturalization certificates or green cards if they were not born in the United States.